In the Media
|Stamped and painted cookie||Make several differing designs and arrange in a cookie bouquet.|
Project designed by Laure'l Silverburg
shortbread cookie recipe (see below)
3-1/2" round cookie/biscuit cutter
5" x 5" clear acrylic block and unmounted rubber stamps (Wood-mounted rubber stamps are not food safe.)
ready-made rolled fondant
liquid food colors
dry raised felt pad
liquid food coloring in assorted colors
6" cookie sticks
round six-compartment lollipop cookie pan
liquid vegetable spray
9" x 4" food-safe bags
clear corn syrup
solid vegetable shortening
marble rolling pin
knife or tapered spatula
small artist palate
size 00-05 round sable paintbrush
small craft sponge
clear cake sparkles
water spray bottle (very fine spray)
soft sponge rubber brayer
large sable blush brush
1 cup butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Cream the butter until it is smooth. Add the powdered sugar, then the vanilla. Be sure the sugar is thoroughly blended. Mix the flour and the salt together and stir it into the batter. You will have to knead in the last of the flour, but try to knead quickly so the heat of your hand does not melt the butter.
Pierce the cookie dough several times to aid steam release during baking. Bake the cookies on a rack in the upper third of an oven at 325 degrees until the cookies reach a pale golden color and the edges are just starting to turn brown. Remove the cookies from the oven to cool. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet by lifting the edges with a tapered spatula or knife. Do not pick the cookies up by their sticks.
Decorating the Cookies
1. Thoroughly wash rubber stamps with antibacterial soap.
2. Be sure the cookies are completely cooled.
3. Saturate the dry felt pad with black liquid air brush food color the night before stamping.
4. Remove the fondant from the package. Cut off a small piece and cover the rest with plastic wrap, then store in an airtight container.
5. Using solid vegetable shortening, lubricate your hands and knead the fondant until it is soft and pliable.
7. Attach an unmounted stamp of your choice to an acrylic block.
8. Very gently ink the rubber stamp by slightly twisting the stamp on the ink pad.
9. Stamp the inked image on the rolled fondant.
10. Center the circle cookie cutter over the stamped image and press to cut.
11. Using a spatula, gently pry up the cut image.
13. To adhere the fondant art piece to the cookie, very lightly coat the flat side (the side that was face-down in the cookie pan) with clear corn syrup. Very gently place the fondant piece on the coated cookie surface (figure B ). If desired, spritz the stamped and painted fondant with water then sprinkle with edible cake sparkles. Let dry for approximately 30 minutes.
14. Arrange the cookies separately in a decorative container or bag.
Sweet Stampen's cookie kit, cookie supplies
Cookie kit contains: cookie pan, fondant, black food color, jumbo dry felt pad, 4x4 acrylic block, fondant cutter, 20 cookie sticks, a rubber stamp of your choice and complete recipes and directions.